How do I join a voluntary register?
CPCAB candidates can potentially access the following counselling registers accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA) in the following ways:
- BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy): BACP recognises CPCAB's Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (TC-L4) as an appropriate qualification to gain BACP membership, either Student Membership whilst studying or Individual Membership once qualified. Members then have 24 months to take the BACP’s free online Certificate of Proficiency to gain access to the BACP register. Once on the register individuals can progress towards BACP accreditation by fulfilling the additional requirements of accreditation set by the BACP, see BACP Accreditation. Alternatively students who have completed a BACP accredited course can apply directly to join the BACP Register.
- UKCP (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy): counsellors with CPCAB's Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (TC-L4) and Level 5 Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling who also fulfil the UKCP enhanced practice and supervision requirements may be eligible to apply for UKCP registration as a psychotherapeutic counsellor. See Information on how to apply to UKCP for further details.
- NCS (National Counselling Society): The National Counselling Society recognises that the Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (TC-L4) can form part of an individual application for registrant status on its Accredited Voluntary Register. Applicants with this qualification will also have to meet the other standards for registration but no further examination will be required. See the NCS website for further details.
- COSCA (Counselling and Psychotherapy in Scotland): Counsellors with CPCAB's Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (TC-L4) can join the COSCA Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists as counsellor (Organisation) if they are practising within an organisation that is a member of COSCA. CPCAB candidates who go on to complete the Open University Foundation Degree in Counselling are eligible for individual membership of the COSCA register.
- ACC (Association of Christian Counsellors): Counsellors with CPCAB's Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (TC-L4) can apply for membership and entry to ACC's accredited register. See the ACC website for further details.
- Other registers can be found on the Professional Standards website.