At a glance information
|Guided learning time||30 hours|
|Minimum age||16 years|
USM-L2 is a stand-alone qualification. However, progression is available to Level 2 or Level 3 National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) in Health & Social Care (H&SC), and/or level 2 counselling skills qualifications and/or level 3 substance misuse qualifications.Printable info for this qualification
If you want – or need – to know why people misuse drugs and alcohol, and the effect this has on vulnerable individuals and society as a whole, you will benefit from taking our Level 2 Award in Understanding Substance Misuse.
Understanding Substance Misuse will help you:
- learn about the effects of different drugs
- understand the harm caused by substance misuse
- recognise the main signs and symptoms of using specific drugs – including alcohol
- identify the link between HIV/AIDS, hepatitis and substance misuse
- know how drugs and alcohol affect pregnancy
- recognise the signs and symptoms of an overdose of drugs or alcohol
- identify the assumptions and stereotypes associated with substance misuse.
No previous training or experience is required to undertake this qualification but please read section 5 of the Qualification Document for further information.
USM-L2 is eligible for limited funding support. Find out more by reading our funding guide for students.
Where to study
Use our centre finder to find a Level 2 Award in Understanding Substance Misuse course near you.