The Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling – BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification
If you're a learner and would like to find out more about this qualification please contact a centre directly for further information. You can find your nearest centre approved to offer the BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification using our centre finder.BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification
The Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling – BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification maps the current CPCAB Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (TC-L4) to the requirements for BACP Qualification Approval and fully incorporates BACP’s Online and Phone Therapy Competence Framework.
All centres offering the TC-L4 with BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification status will:
- Hold CPCAB online delivery recognition. Full information about applying for online delivery is available on our 'running qualifications online' webpage.
- Offer a blended course delivery, and support candidates to engage with a blended placement to meet the new BACP APQ requirements. Blended delivery includes an aspect of online delivery in the course programme (up to 25% of the GLH).
- Support candidates to experience both in-person and online/telephone work during their 100% placement hours (up to a maximum of 49% online/telephone work is permitted).
- Hold a BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification Centre Agreement.
- New centres wishing to adopt the BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification must apply using the centre application and BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification Centre Agreement.
We've recently completed a successful 2 year pilot of the scheme and now continue this qualification offer from September 2022. The BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification scheme differs from BACP’s existing Accredited Course scheme in that the agreement is at qualification level with the awarding organisation, not with the individual course provider. For BACP, this scheme represents a new way of working with qualification providers, rather than placing the onus upon individual training providers to apply for BACP course accreditation at centre level.
We've worked with BACP to map the current Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (TC-L4) to the requirements for BACP Qualification Approval. This ensures that it meets the high standards of both organisations in terms of content, curriculum, delivery, assessment, and practice requirements. The qualification has also been mapped to the relevant BACP professional standards and competencies and the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions and now the BACP Online and Phone Therapy Competence Framework.
Candidates undertaking a BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification will have the BACP Certificate of Proficiency facilitated directly for them by their training provider and will be able to apply directly for Individual Registration with BACP. Candidates can also be reassured that their qualification has already been approved by BACP.
Benefits for centres:
- Join a growing number of centres offering the Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling – BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification and promote this opportunity to potential candidates.
- The same robust TC-L4 qualification.
- New candidate guidance and tutor notes for 2022-23 which respond to the changing landscape in counselling and psychotherapy training standards and employment.
- Tutor BACP membership provides additional BACP resources for teaching and assessment.
- Offer BACP Certificate of Proficiency from your own centre.
- BACP centre support for facilitation of the BACP Certificate of Proficiency.
- A straightforward application and approval process from CPCAB.
- CPCAB staff and External Verifier support.
Benefits for candidates:
BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification centres will facilitate the BACP Certificate of Proficiency in the 2nd year of the qualification.
Please see the BACP Certificate of Proficiency - A guide for approved centres.
The guide will support you with planning and facilitating the BACP CoP in year 2 and claiming certificates with CPCAB:
- Establishing contact with BACP
- Appointing an Invigilator
- Identifying candidates for the CoP assessment
- CoP assessment booking process
- Candidate preparation for the CoP assessment
- Centre preparation for the CoP assessment
- Contingencies for the CoP assessment
- Results of the CoP assessment
- Further CoP assessment dates / sessions
You'll need to liaise with BACP when making arrangements for candidates to take the CoP.
You must ensure that only candidates who've attended 2 years of a BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification at your centre and have completed a minimum of 70 client hours are put forward for the CoP.Registration and Certification
All candidates successfully completing the Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling – BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification will receive certificates including the BACP logo. Please see the CPCAB BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification - Registration and Certification Centre User Guide for further information. Please ensure that all centre staff including managers, exams officers, tutors and invigilators are provided with a copy.
The guide supports centres in understanding how to register candidates for the qualification and how to access, receive and record assessment results for results for the BACP CoP. It contains vital information so that centres can ensure they log accurate results and avoid maladministration in certification:
- Additional requirements for registration
- Identifying candidates for the BACP CoP assessment
- Submitting CoP results
- Claiming Certificates
For queries relating directly to the BACP CoP, please contact BACP at email@example.com.
For queries relating to claiming certificates online via the CPCAB Portal, please contact CPCAB at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For any other queries, please contact CPCAB.Further questions?
Please read our Frequently Asked Questions relating to the BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification.
Thank you for expressing your interest in the 'BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification – CPCAB Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling'.
A member of our team will contact you shortly with further information.