Going into Practice

Counselling isn't a government regulated profession, which means the title of 'counsellor' is not protected by law. Even a person with minimal training can call themselves a counsellor. However, there are recognised professional benchmarks set by counselling professional bodies and awarding organisations to ensure counsellor competence and safe practice. Counselling professional bodies provide accredited registers which confirm counsellors who have met these benchmarks.

The current minimum qualification requirement to join one of these bodies is a Level 4 Diploma in Counselling, although some professional bodies require higher level qualifications.

How do I join an accredited register?

The professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy each have different entry requirements. We've listed some examples below but please see the Professional Standards Authority website for a full list of bodies and their entry requirements.

Counsellors who have successfully achieved CPCAB's Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling and Level 5 Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling may apply to register with UKCP as a psychotherapeutic counsellor. Read our information on how to apply to UKCP for further details.

During CPCAB's Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling you can apply for student membership of NCS. On completion, students can become full members and apply for registrant status on the NCS Accredited Voluntary Register. Students can work towards NCS Professional Accreditation by fulfilling the additional requirements of professional accreditation set by NCS.

Counsellors with CPCAB's Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (TC-L4) can join the COSCA Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists as a counsellor if they are practicing within an organisation that is a member of COSCA. CPCAB candidates who go on to complete the Open University Foundation Degree in Counselling are eligible for individual membership of the COSCA register.

Counsellors with CPCAB's Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (TC-L4) can apply for membership and entry to ACC's accredited register. See the ACC website for further details.

When can I do the BACP Certificate of Proficiency (CoP)?

If you're studying for the Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling, once you've completed all aspects of Internal Assessment and your exam (External Assessment) you will be awarded with your certificate. Once you've received your certificate you will be able to contact BACP and make arrangements to complete the CoP.

If you're studying for the BACP Approved Practitioner Qualification Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling, you will complete the CoP as part of your qualification.